<VV> Fuel Economy

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 12:47:06 EDT 2005

I love the creativity of the Corvair community - it's one of our unique
assets.  This thread on fuel economy (electric conversion, E85) is great  fun and
a good example of this creativity.

I think the smartest approach is to take advantage of the hundreds of
millions of dollars the auto industry has invested in this challenge and
incorporate  what we can from their efforts.

This is quite "do-able" with what we have.  Here's my short  list:
Reduce engine friction (proportional to engine rpm) through taller gearing
and tires (3.08s)
Reduce engine vacuum (increase VE)  through taller gearing
Increase engine efficiency (breathing) through induction and exhaust
improvements
Reduce wasted fuel using port-fuel injection calibrated for best  economy
Improve combustion chamber efficiency by increasing mixture tumble and
compression
Improve low-end torque with appropriate camshaft design

A really serious person would;
Reduce engine displacement so that maximum output = minimum  requirements
Employ engine-friction reduction thinking (roller valve-train, low tension
rings, low tension valve springs)
Variable-drive cooling fan
Managed alternator output
Implement EGR
Reduce rolling resistance (tires, brakes)

The first list should yield about a 50% increase in f/e.  Both lists  might
get you 100% more f/e.
Craig Nicol