<VV> Valve Guide Eater: Part 3

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Mon Aug 22 15:55:47 EDT 2005

Smitty says:  You would think that once the engine was out and prepped
for the new diff that a couple of days of relaxation would be in order,
while waiting.  I did take my axle with the bad bearing to a machine shop
to get my spare new bearing pressed on.  Physically I was relaxed but
when I pulled the torque converter I found that the new fluid I had
installed at home had now turned coal black, with no hint of color in it.
 I strained some through cloth but found no particles visible with a 10X
glass.  Judgement call time again.  I decided that since it was working
well that I would go for it.  That of course left another knot in my
stomach until I got home which I did not share with Helen.  Six days
later the diff arrived and was quickly installed.
        On the afternoon of the seventh day we were outta there, headed
for the Shasta area of Northern Cal.  We had decided to drive at night to
avoid the heat so after a couple of days of visiting there we took off at
8 in the evening for the East coast.  Out in the middle of the Shasta
Trinity forest I heard the sound of a failing axle bearing.  Not to
worry, I assured Helen.  remember how long that one lasted that we first
heard on the way to Flag Staff a few years ago?  A half mile later it cut
loose with a RUMP RUMP grinding that shook the whole car.  Fortunately we
immediately found a nice wide spot and I got out my carpet and set to
work.  The sky was full of stars so close you could almost touch them but
it was so pitch black you could not see your hand in front of your face.
Years ago I made a little drop light using a back-up light bulb and it
was a life saver to work with.  I do have a home made U-joint yoke
puller.  The yoke was installed with loc-tite and did not want to move.
By taking a turn on the puller and then crawling out to hit it with a
hammer, over and over and over I managed to move it about 1/8 inch in 30
minutes.  Helen is standing guard with a big flashlight and the pistol
from the trailer.  She has her back to the trailer and is watching the
woods.  About this time the State Patrol shows up and wants to know if we
are alright.  She manages to get the gun into her pocket.  When Helen
asks what lives in the woods, he reassures her that there is nothing but
bears, mountain lions, and moose.  After he is sure we know what we are
doing and are OK he takes off.  Helen is back on guard again with a
renewed intensity.  An hour and a half later with bloody bruised hands I
am successful with the yoke and get the new axle back on.  Once again
headed for home.               More later