<VV> RE: electric vehicles no corvair (on my soap box)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 17:34:49 EDT 2005

An FC retrofitted with electric is not the best test bed for the kind of ec
onomy or range you can get from an all electric vehicle.  Of course, you
probably need a commercial vehicle of some sort to haul its own huge battery pack
around but there are better choices.  If you had a more aerodynamic vehicle, the
range and economy of the vehicle would go way up.  To be truly practical,
battery technology must improve significantly as well.

As far as finding a clean source of electricity, (translated as non-fossil)
we have probably tapped most of the usable hydroelectric sites.  That pretty
much leaves nuclear.  I realize that we have a political environment in the USA
where it is virtually impossible to build a cost effective nuke plant but that
may change as the cost of fossil fuels continue to skyrocket.  Right now the
anti nuke nuts can shout down pretty much anyone.  When we start paying 2 or 3
times what we pay today for fossil fuels and eventually are faced with real
shortages instead of trumped up shortages, the general population will start
shouting down the anti nuke PACs.  We should be developing controllable fusion
capability instead of relying on fission.  This would pretty much solve the
"nuclear waste disposal" issue that is often raised as an issue.

By the way, technically speaking, the Sparrow is a motorcycle.  Corbin
designed it with 3 wheels specifically so they could call it a cycle and avoid all
of the safety requirements the government requires for cars.  Corbin is a
company in the motorcycle aftermarket industry.  I used to work for a company that
was a contender as supplier for the motor and controller for the Sparrow.  I
left the company before the decision was made but I heard that Corbin went with
a less efficient technology for lower cost.  Such is life.

I will get off the soap box now.

Doc
In a message dated 8/21/2005 2:57:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,