<VV> Vairs and ACTUAL fuel used

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 23 02:51:04 EDT 2005

Just for the heck of it, it would be nice to have a ball park figure on how
many miles per year is the "average" of all licensed Corvairs.  Maybe two
numbers would be needed, one for those which are actually driven and another
for ALL - whether driven or not.  A survey of this group (VV) might or (more
than likely) might NOT be an indicator - so I really don't know how to go
about calculating that number or collecting the data.

Personally, I feel that I probably am in the upper %tile in terms of annual
(actually driven) Vair mileage at something around 12,000 (some years have
been a good deal higher than that).  But, I don't know that for certain.

Really, the point I'm trying to get to is that a (very?) great many Vairs
likely go less than 1,000 per year.  So, the conversation about various
fuels and other fuel saving or fuel cost saving methods fall on quite a few
deaf ears.  If you are burning 50 gallons per year at $1.50 and the price
doubles to $3.00, it now costs an extra $75.00 PER YEAR to drive your Vair
to those places you normally use it.  SO WHAT!

I could list at least a dozen Vairs that I know of locally that would have a
hard time proving 1,000 miles in 5 years.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 (still X2 - someone needs to buy the blue vert)
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140

Rampside - at least 3,000/yr (spring and fall)
Blue Vert - average of 8,500 over last 10 yrs (summer)
Beige Vert - just got it in April and have 3,000 on it (2,600 was the trip
home) (will be summer car)
Coupe - probably around 1,500/yr (winter only or when everything else is
broken - sometimes a loaner and I did not count those miles)

PS - If someone decides to take that survey - be sure to promise NOT to
report to any insurance Cos.