<VV> BeaveRun after "action" report

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 23 18:29:38 EDT 2005

Folks,

First a plea for participation.  NECC needs more folks to enter and participate because it costs a whole lot to rent a track, course workers, ambulance and obtain insurance.  Check with a road race course and you'll see.  Come out and join us. Don't wait until the car is "finished" because we may not be having events.  It is a great experience, to drive a track as fast as are able or as fast as you like or slow as you wish.

Saturday afternoon saw the arrival of most of us, coming as far as from San Jose, CA (Seth)  by air, Atlanta (Chuckster) by driving, CT, NY, NJ, IL, IN, OH, TN, VA, MD, and?  Groups of us went to dinner next door together and had a wonderful BS session in the evening.  Those of you who have lived in the Steel City area know about their custom of putting french fries on sandwiches...and salads, too.  Some went out to sample the liquid pleasures of this region.  This particular Hampton Inn has a parking lot all around the motel with trees and landscaping which gave us shade on Sunday to park the cars and visit, and grass to sit on, looking at the different aspects of how someone did what to their car. Ask Brian O'Neill about the eclectically driven stock Corvair magnesium fan which ran fast laps on track all day, without overheating.  Again more dinner and talking and bench racing. Danny Yoanda, the BR Track Manager, a racer himself, gave the "How to Drive the Track" talk. Very informative, interesting and entertaining! There are a lot of nuances that weren't apparent.

On Sunday, another beautiful, sunny day with a light breeze.  Started off with a safety brief and then cars on track about 8:30 am.  We all went out by group for 20-30 min and then had open track for the rest of the morning thru until about 2:30 pm or so when Timed Laps began. Mike took the #89 out. I drove a few laps, my first in the car in over a year, and came in. Mike ran quite a few laps and ran laps in the 1:06 range.  I couldn't hold up the Geezer's end of it as Warren did in Iowa.  Mike beat me.  Rats!Everyone who wanted to run could. Had the usual failures; most were fixed and folks went back out. Donna Mae was there as was Warren Dernoshek (Yenko Mechanic-his Son races in the Hooter's North circuit).

The track had the lunch facilities open and the food was good.  We had the timed laps and then "parade laps" where a pace car (Bob Marlow's motor home), led anyone who wanted to take family and friends out could drive the track slowly and see it.  After that, NECC presented awards for performance. This was followed by Warren presenting Tweety Awards.  A wonderful day among friends. We had a great time. Too bad many of you missed it!

Chuck S
#89 GT3
BBRT