<VV> Blocking off Oil Cooler, was Hottest running cylinders

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Tue Aug 23 21:39:23 EDT 2005

Now, I assume Chuck has got his oil cooler blocked off for racing purposes
only, and might not block it off for long-distance and/or street driving.
     But what if I (a driver on hot streets and long distances) blocked or
even removed MY oil cooler (so as to close the hole in my cooling system)?
1960s oil, of course, would fry, but what would happen to the synthetic oil
(I use 10W30) I use? Would the heat rise to the point where THAT oil would
be fried, or its lubricity substantially degraded?
     It's my impression that, the case of Porsche 911 notwithstanding,
cooling of the oil on a Corvair contributes little to nothing to cooling the
engine, although that generalization could fail in certain hot spots such as
rings.
     But what about blocking off the oil cooler, if you're using synthetic
oil? Synthetic oil of a higher viscosity? I'd like to keep #2 intake-valve
seat in there as long as possible. And yes, my "fresh air" duct in the top
shroud has been blocked off a LONG time.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C