<VV> > Hottest running cylinders

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Aug 24 01:07:14 EDT 2005

At 03:40 hours 08/23/2005, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Tony,
>
>If an experience comparison could be done between those who have the
>block off and those who don't, then we would (possibly) be able to
>pin it - at least partly - on the shroud openings.  You are
>reporting that you have the block-offs and that no particular
>cylinder is worse than any other.  I wonder if those without the
>block-offs can say the same thing?

Not sure, since I block off my stuff.   However, I did it to begin
with because it looked like a prime spot to have an air leak
someplace downstream of the shroud and thus cause overheating of
*something*, likely the #5 hole.    Anyway, others might have some
reflections on the top shroud air outlet vs the #5 cylinder.

I can attest to the fact that of all the valve seats I've managed to
dump, I don't recall any of them ever being #5.   Last one was in the
'60, #3.   Before that it was in a 140, #6.   Before that one, it was
another 140, #1.   The previous seat out of the next to last 140 was
also #1 and that head is still on the shelf.   Seems there's another
head with a seat out in the stack and that one is missing #1 as
well.   Then there's the '69 140 and its #6 seat...   maybe something
to do with corner cylinders...?   Or maybe just a fluke?   I don't
recall having any heads with #4 seats coming loose, although one head
had #3 come out (and break and trash the #3 and #1 cylinders with the
shrapnel).

IMHO about the only way to effectively check cylinder temp
distribution is to mount a thermocouple on each cylinder and monitor
each one under varying conditions and see what actually happens in
each application rather than rely on old SAE reports.    Seems every
engine is different, at least every one here seems to be.    They all
seem to have their own personality.

tony..