<VV> Corvair Fuel Economy

James Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Aug 23 21:54:22 EDT 2005

That might be true for the 200 series Ultra Van but the later models gained
weight.  Although the factory list #388 with a dry weight of 3,800 pounds,
it really weighs 4,560 with with a half tank of fuel, water, and a few
spares.   Traveling weight (with 315 lbs of humans and cats aboard) is
usually 5,280 lbs without the trailer.  If you want air conditioning add
the trailer, with genset, shelter, 4 chairs, and assorted ancillary
equipment and I am up to 5,700 lbs.  My gas mileage was 15.5 mpg with the
110 engine and 3.55 ring gear cruising at 55 mph 17,000 miles).  When I
went to a 140 engine and a 3.89 ring gear the mileage dropped to 13.5 mpg
cruising at 60 mph (62,000 miles). Even though the cd is around 0.40, a 65
square foot frontal area means that speed really effects the gas mileage.
Most UV guys/gals use 185R14 or 205R14 light truck tires as Ultras carry
about 2,800 lbs on the rear wheels.  I am one of the few using passenger
car tires (225/60-15).
Then there are the forty-six V-8 Ultra Vans made by the Ultra
Corporation.  Factory dry weight is listed at 6,050 lbs but the traveling
weight is in the 7,000 lb range.
Just to set the record straight.
Jim Davis