<VV> MPG Hystery

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Aug 23 22:12:39 EDT 2005

>FIRST - A stock Corvair delivered a great 27.03 MPG in the 1960 Mobilgas
>Economy Run

Was that with 145 cid engine and 3.08 ratio behind a fthree-speed ? Wonder
what the tire size was. Long time ago I discovered that keeping the revs
down, a light throttle ("egg under the pedal"), shifting early, and a lot
of air in the tires was the key to driving for economy. Tuning for economy
is another whole story. If you know how to drive on a manifold vacuum gauge
(were common in the early '60s & became "fuel economy meters" in the '70s)
that is a big plus.

Is an interesting article on http://www.thompson-motorsports.com/econ.html
about Mickey and Judy Thompson in 1962 and 1963 both gettiing over 27.3 MPG
in a Pontiac Tempest "large engine" automatic at an average speed of 42.7
mph. Can bet it was tuned within an inch of its life though. Suspect the
Corvair would have done better but had to be pushed pretty hard to maintain
the average speed.

Things like that are automotive marketing gimmicks even when the rules say
"off the showroom floor" - there were ways. Remember the Ford ad's in the
mid-70s about runs from Phoenix to Lala land ? All downhill ?

Now I don't drive that way unless competing but when our 3800 (said I like
that engine) '92 van with 120k on the clock & fueled with the cheapest 87
PON I can find can get over 24 mpg on a left lane run from Myrtle Beach to
Orlando with air on all the way and mostly on cruise, then 30 from a
Corvair seems reasonable.

Padgett