<VV> MPG Hystery

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Tue Aug 23 23:05:15 EDT 2005

> Now I don't drive that way unless competing but when our 3800 (said I like
> that engine) '92 van with 120k on the clock & fueled with the cheapest 87 PON
> I can find can get over 24 mpg on a left lane run from Myrtle Beach to
> Orlando with air on all the way and mostly on cruise, then 30 from a Corvair
> seems reasonable.
> Padgett

The 3800 has been GM's best engine for a long time both for mileage and
for low warrenty claims.

I have a new 04 Malibu with the 3.5L V6 and 4 spd auto that gets great
mileage for a 200 hp engine. EPA rated at 23/30 and I routinely get 25-26
in mostly city/suburband driving and 32 -36 on highway at 70 + mph.
Who ever calibrated the engine did a great job and someone spent some time
reducing friction- it coasts for a long time.

At the recent Portland convention, I also attended the ALMS race with
my vette teamates and got talking to a GM calibration engineer who was
with the Cadillac CTS-R team and he said the latest stuff uses very
powerfull processing in real time and the newest code, if printed out,
would come to 46,000 pages for all the pcm controls etc.

regards,

frank