<VV> Blocking off Oil Cooler, was Hottest running cylinders

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Aug 23 22:38:55 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/23/05 6:39:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time, pottsf at msn.com
writes:

> But what if I (a driver on hot streets and long distances) blocked or
> even removed MY oil cooler (so as to close the hole in my cooling system)?
> 1960s oil, of course, would fry, but what would happen to the synthetic oil
> (I use 10W30) I use? Would the heat rise to the point where THAT oil would
> be fried, or its lubricity substantially degraded?

Joe, I don't recommend doing that. SAE 140C reported that the oil temp on the
1960 went to 280 deg during their road tests. Other tests indicated similar
temps with low ambients of the dyno test cells (no air cond.). I wouldn't think
that most synths which are just highly refined dino oil could stand any
higher temps.

Regards,
Bob Helt