<VV> MPG Hystery

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Wed Aug 24 11:01:46 EDT 2005

>I think most any "non-hotrodded" Vair in a decent state of tune and
>in good  mechanical condition would get at least 25 highway and those
>with more moderate configurations like low-perf engines and better
>gearing may  well do considerably better than that.

Just as another data point, my 110/PG/3.55 VW Westy, fully loaded for camping and carrying 4 people gets 19mpg at 60-65mph. I'm confident this would be in
the low 20's with a 4 sp.

As another data point, the original 1600 VW engine with a 4 sp (top speed of under 65mph) with under half the torque gets about 15-16 at 50-55mpg.

If I get better than 20mph in my Corsa, then it tells me I'm not driving it hard enough.... ;-)

Bill Elliott