<VV> BeaveRun after "action" report

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 11:09:58 EDT 2005

Bruce Schug writes:

Nice photos, Scott. Now if everybody would go in and identify their  car, the
rest of us could see who's car is whose.

So Seth says:

Okay - Big News!!  None of them were mine!

But Jeff Rapp of Indianapolis and I did co-drive Mark Gillespie's vintage
Stinger. Jeff was car number 137 and I was car number 37. Mark is still getting
his strength back and hopes to be racing soon. After Jeff and I had taken our
 familiarization laps in the car, Jeff went back out for a few more hot laps.
He  came in, noting that although the car seemed down on power a bit, the
brakes has  totally disappeared. The classic master cylinder issue. Light  pedal
pressure and it just sinks to the floor!  Jeff and I made a  useless 30 mile
road trip out to the nearest auto parts store (Advance Auto -  nice guy, didn't
have the parts needed.) Then, when we returned, a spectator,  (Keith
Kounovsky, I believe) brought everything we needed out of his trunk,  correct master
cylinder and a bench bleeder kit! Sweet! We thrashed the parts  back on and
then bled the whole system at all the wheels. Up/Down, Up/Down,  Up/Down -it
sounded like a Porno movie being filmed!  Anyway. The pedal  returned to it's
rightful place and Jeff went out to try it out. After  that, we adjusted the
secondary carb linkage to get full throttle. It was  running fine.I ran my timed
laps first, because I had a plane to catch, Jeff ran  shortly after. On his
first timed lap, a combination of more power and  a perfect exit from turn 9 had
him arriving at the final turn  maybe 20 mph faster than before. In a slight
brain fade, he had held his braking  to the same point. Oops! a slow 15-20 mph
4-wheels off resulted when he just  couldn't get it slowed down in time! No
damage and after a short stint in the  pits, he completed the remainder of his
timed laps. At about that exact point, I  began my second race of the day, from
BeaveRun to the Pittsburgh Airport.  I'm sure the results will be posted - I
ran pretty slow. But again I failed to  damage the car! And it sure was fun!
Thanks Mark - and  Jeff!