<VV> MPG -$$ are not the point

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 17:30:48 EDT 2005

Padgett,
       The BIG MPG advantage that modern engines have over Corvair engines is
the more precise control of A/F ratios going to the cylinders using port
injection and computer control and FEEDBACK from O2 sensors.  These enable
cruising with near stoichiometric A/F ratio to every cylinder, something that the
STOCK Corvair can hardly accomplish.
       The second big MPG advantage modern cars have is very low RPM cruising
speed with overdrive transmissions.  My 95 Trans Sport does 60 mph at 1800
rpm whereas my Corvair does the same 60 mph at 3000 rpm.  That's another reason
why the Trans Sport despite having a 40% larger engine (3.8 liters) and about
40% more weight can easily better the Corvair's MPG.  On a long trip to Jim's
I can (and have) gotten 28 mpg by MOSTLY keeping revs from exceeding 2000 rpm
(not always, but mostly).
       Now if we set up computer controlled port injected EFI with wide band
O2 sensor feedback on our Corvairs, we could even set it up to run cruising
speeds at A/F ratios LEANER than stoichiometric, perhaps as much as 16+ to 1 A/F
ratio.  Since this results in increased NOx emissions, modern emission
controlled cars aren't allowed to do this (at least not yet), but if you don't tell
the EPA, I won't tell the EPA.<GGGGG>
       Since the air/fuel mixture in the 150/180 gets "blended" by flowing
through the turbo compressor wheel DOWNSTREAM of the carb, it seems to me that
it would do a better job of mixture distribution to the individual cylinders
than the NA engines whether they use 2 or 4 carbs.;  But I haven't seen any data
to back that up.
       By the way, just who is this guy "Yout" that "wants to know"?(:-)
       Regards,
       Frank "full of wild ideas" Burkhard