<VV> MPG Hystery

Dennis & Debbie Pleau ddpleau at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 24 22:11:42 EDT 2005

Gota agree with Terry here, when driving and econorun 1st and 3rd don't
exist.  an imaginary raw egg is between my foot and the gas pedal.  If it
is down hill the key is off an in neutral.  I heard once 45 mph is the best
speed for gas mileage for a Corvair.  If I have to be under power, I never
exceed that.  It will take me a long time to get to that speed (might break
the imaginary egg).  I've won many local econoruns and placed 5th in the
only national I've entered in the 140 std class.

Now if I drove the same way to work each day, someone in a 250, 350, 2500
or 3500 would run over me in the first 18 miles where I loose 1000 ft while
going up and down over small ridges.  The next 9 miles are on a freeway
with speeds starting at 75 and then dropping to 55 as I get into
town.  Don't think I want to be on a 75 mph freeway at 45 mph while legal
it would be dangerous.  Driving this commute at reasonable speed in my 140
(65 on the 2 lanes up and down roads 80 down to 65 on the freeway) got me
about 24 mph, in the same car I get over 40 mph in econoruns.  It's all
about what you are trying to accomplish.

Dennis