<VV> Wheels--my experience in the junkyard

John McMahon jmac2112 at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 26 08:23:07 EDT 2005

Lou,

I recently went junkyard hopping to find some wheels.  Well, actually, I
have been junkyard hopping for over a year now.  I, too, wanted 14 x 6
wheels.  The #1 problem I found is that there were hardly any older cars in
the junkyards around here (Front Royal--Winchester area, in Virginia).  All
of the junkyard proprieters told me "Yeah, if you'd come around ten years
ago, you'd have been in luck."   Now the vast majority of the cars in the
junkyards are from the '90s.  The closest I could find were 14 x 6 wheels
from an El Camino, but those had a backspacing of 3.5", and I wanted at
least 4".  I finally settled on 15 x 6 wheels from a mid-80s Chevy Caprice,
with 4" backspacing.  They were the ONLY WHEELS I found ANYWHERE within a 30
mile radius that came close to my desired specs, and I was quite happy to
pay way too much for them.

Just my experience....

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe