<VV> Does the price of Gasoline affect your Corvair Plans?

Dave Keillor dkeillor at ultrex.com
Fri Aug 26 09:18:08 EDT 2005

My specific responses are included below.  My experience is that even with
$3.00 per gallon gasolene, fuel prices are not a major part of the cost of
our driving vacations.  We do a lot of driving of our "toy" cars and the
time on the road is a major part of the vacation fun.  The cost of gasolene
is the price of fun, not the price of simply "getting there".  The Corvairs
burn less than three gallons an hour on the highway, so if gasolene prices
increase by $1.00 per gallon, that's an increase of only $3.00 per hour in
our the fun-factor.  The 350ci Nova (16mph on premium) is higher, but the
fun is still worth the price.

Dave Keillor

---------------------

>>What is everyone's thoughts about attending future events if Fuel Prices
>>remain high?

>>Will you limit your distance?
No.  My distance is limited by the time I am willing to allocate to
attending conventions and the distance I'm willing to drive the Corvair.
Currently, that's around 500 miles.  Gasolene prices are not a significant
factor.

>>Is it time for "Regional / Mini" Conventions?
These already exist and the recent one in Iowa was outstanding.  I like
them.

>>Is it time to change the "Style"/ Level "of accommodations?  I.E.: Motels
/
>>Campgrounds...Vs 3-5 Star Hotels with Convention Centers.
No.  There are usually cheaper accomodations fairly close.  Car-related
events are a major way my wife and I spend our limited vacations, so staying
in some flea-bag motel is not an attractive options.

>>Should regional meets be longer than a weekend to justify the cost to
attend?
The logic here escapes me.  Raising the overall cost of attending a
convention in order to make the gasolene costs a smaller percentage doesn't
do much for me.  If the mini was longer because it had lots of content (like
Iowa), that's another story.

>>Will you be more inclined to drive your Corvair instead of trailering,
possibly limiting distance?
I don't own a trailer.  Cars are for driving, not towing on trailers.

>>What events at Meets will help to "motivate" you to attend?
Moving events, car display/concours, tech sessions, hanging out.