<VV> Is it resisting leaving group red? (long)

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Fri Aug 26 09:34:59 EDT 2005

Last night I found some time on my hands and went out to the rampy.  Still
have several little things to do before I fire it up for the first time.
You might remember that I had an ear break off on the left manifold.
Solution is a temporary fix until I locate another suitable used one close
to me (maybe I can pick one up in Wichita).  As I have been putting this
back together several items have shown their age and broken.  Now I am
beginning to wonder if maybe the rampy has been in group red for so long
that it has gotten comfortable there and does not want to leave.

Last night I went to do a simple two minute job, replace the worn out
positive battery cable (battery end missing).  One nut and the job would be
done, except the rampy had a different idea.  It choose last night to do
this the hard way and turn the job into a project!  A turn of the nut and
the solenoid end cap cracked!  Not a big deal as I had a ultra spare, but
where did I put it.  After a 20 minute search I located another one, but is
it any good?  I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts and reassembled
it and put it on the starter.  Finally after 2 1/2 hours (kids interrupted
and spelling words were practiced) I am ready to put the wires on.  Positive
cable goes on with no problems, ignition (purple) wire hooks up no problem,
and the coil wire (yellow) breaks at the terminal end.  After a few minutes
a new end is installed and the wiring is finished.

The hour or two left of work to be finished before start up might just turn
into two weeks if the above time frame holds for the rest of this.  I hate
to think about how many hours to get it on the road...and then to get it
presentable (body work)...The JOYS of working on a 40 year old (hope the
doctors don't feel this way I am close...) car.  Thank God it's a HOBBIE.

Keith Hammett