<VV> Hey Fellas... Have you missed me?

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sat Aug 27 20:43:32 EDT 2005

You'll get a million suggestions on both of these. I think I'll concentrate
on the second one. Is that oil leak a drip following sort of a course, like
a river, or does it seem more the result of a spray? If it's really diffuse,
it's probably coming out under the oil filler cap. Is that cap loose (turns
home very easily)? If so, you can tighten that cap up by taking the cap off
and locating the two tangs that grab the filler lip underneath. Bend these
tangs closer to the cap itself, so they grab the lip tighter. Make sure the
cardboard seal is still in the cap, retained by the tangs.
     If the leak is a little to the left of the filler, you may have a leaky
oil-pressure sender. This object is round when viewed from above (directly
above it) and about the diameter of a fifty-cent piece (I'll bet you don't
remember these). It's got a single wire attached to it - it's near the
alternator (or generator - you didn't remind us what car you have). These
cost about $5 to get new, and they CAN leak catastrophically, so a lot of
people (like me) replace these things on a bet. You SHOULD use a special
socket to install the sender ($10 - $15 at the auto-supply store, and that's
almost the ONLY use for it, although I discovered another specialized one
relating to a task I frequently have to perform on lawn sprinklers).
    There ARE other possibilities for the oil leak, but these two cover a
lot of the cases that sound like yours.
    OF COURSE we missed you!

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA