<VV> Vacuum Gauge economy

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 23:58:10 EDT 2005

Folks,

I realize this might just be wishful thinking, but
with high gas prices, most thinking is wishful.

I seem to recall cars of the past which had installed
Motor Meter gauges, essentially vacuum gauges, which
were calibrated into several zones -- idle, economy,
yellow, wasteful, great economy, or someshuch. People
who drove by them religiously religiously reported
fantastic gas mileage.

My thinking is that only half the hype were true,
there just might be something to using a vacuum gauge
as a guide.

The other half of my thinking is that it would be
foolish to try to use a vacuum gauge as a mileage
monitor on a powerglide car since there isn't a whole
lot of finesse that you can apply to a two speed.

I have such a gauge and it's feasable to install it
with a lot of vacuum hose, but without the nifty
colored bands it doesn't seem to be able to impart
much information I can use.

If it were a magic bullet that would train me to drive
the car for the best economy I'd hook it up in a
minuteb but right now I stymied. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert, powerglide in damp Florida MSL 93
feet.