<VV> Vacuum gauge

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Aug 28 21:55:55 EDT 2005

>The other half of my thinking is that it would be
>foolish to try to use a vacuum gauge as a mileage
>monitor on a powerglide car since there isn't a whole
>lot of finesse that you can apply to a two speed.

You would be surprised. A good one is a reminder of what you are doing and
how well the engine is performing. Of course to be meaningful it must be
readable unlike the Corsa boost gauge. Am thinking along the lines of a
Westach 2C4-3 (black face) http://www.frostalarm.com/cat/p3.html or maybe a
Pontiac chrome bullet.

Is particularly useful in tuning - at any given speed, the higher the
vacuum, the higher the MPG. Only thing better is a real instantaneous MPG
readout (Accucomp, Prince). Once you learn how to keep it at a maximum as
much of the time as possible you will be amazed at the difference.

Padgett