<VV> Still Steering After All These Years

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 10:08:25 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/29/2005 6:22:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
minoxphotographer at yahoo.com writes:

The  click-snap sound is MUCH louder IN the car than under the car.  To
me,  it sounds like it's coming from in the steering wheel hub.  I  had
convinced myself it was in the box, and the sound was coming up  the
shaft into the car and that's why I heard it, but it sounds like  it's
right in the steering wheel.  Is there anything in there that  can
'catch" creating a "click-snap-boing" sort of sound?  I see in  the
manual there's a spring in there..what's it doing and can it get  funky?

Well, just beneath the wheel is all the turn signal canceling equipment.
There are a couple of plastic items which can break and interfere. Have you had
the wheel off recently? There is a piece of plastic that snaps onto the bottom
 of the wheel and extends down into the signalling assembly. The plastic
part is pre-loaded when you engage the turn signal and is pushed it off  when you
return the wheel to straight ahead. The signaling assembly does fail  once in
a while. They are 40 years after all. Before going any further down,  pull
the wheel off and check it out. All the parts you might need are available  from
"the usual sources". Remember to disconnect the battery first! The  horn
controls also pass through here! - Seth