<VV> Fuel Mileage in winter - only minor Corvair

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 02:13:06 EST 2005

Well I'm not Mr Burkhard but...  The purpose of a mass airflow sensor is to
determine the exact amount of air that is ingested, automatically compensating
for temperature, altitiude, and other factors that affect density.  The ECM
calcs the matching quantity of fuel needed to create a stoichiometric (neither
rich nor lean) mixture.  The O2 sensor plays cop and tweaks as needed.  If the
engine likes the cool, dense air (yum, yum) and tries to spin a little faster,
the nasty little IAC (idle air control) closes down to maintain the target
idle speed.  Motor's happier but has nothing to show for it.

<snip> I'm guessing that colder, denser air would cause the mixture to richen
up in an injected engine...
Mr. Burkhart?
SM <unsnip>