<VV> re: removing stuck jets etc(parts cleaning also)

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 02:59:50 EST 2005

try soaking parts in a strong solution of oxyclean if you dont have the real
carb soaker.i discovered its power by accident. it started with a cruddy oily
shop vac, i used muriatic acid soaker for a couple days and not much happened.
by chance i tried oxyclean on it and it was clean in about 3 hours! the next
tryout will be a cyl head soon. i use the macs carb /parts soaker here, 2 cans
one for carbs the other for parts so crud does not get to the carbs. i also
have a 1 gallon soak can with basket  using laquer thinner for cleaning. you
can buy recycled laquer thinner at the strathmore paint store cheap in 5 gallon
cans.  parts cleaning is the worst part of the job, but i have many chemicles
i have used over the years. i have my own oven  in the shop also for head work
or other jobs. if you heat a head about 400 for an hour (i originally did
this to work on valve guides) after cooling the crud bows off easy, you bake the
oil out and the remaining dirt blows away surprisinly well. this oven is just
outside my shop doorwhen i use it, plugged into my welder outlet. it smokes a
lot for about 15 minutes then settles down.  i got my oven (old built in type)
free at the appliance store when someone remodeled and tossed it. there are
some there most of the time in the scrap. i tried soaking carbs in muriatic
acid once, it works well on real bad ones but takes the iridite  coating off
instantly. you only soak it for a couple minutes then rinse fast. this is for last
resort only.it is a violent way to do it but it always works.
regards, tim colson    in baldwinsville ny
http://www.corvair.de/n2vzd/
at the last minute i decided to post this on v vairs also..