<VV> RE: Winter Project, Little Corvair

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Sat Dec 3 10:06:12 EST 2005

The talk of rebuilding engines in dorm rooms reminded me of one of my
adventures.  While at school in central KY, a friend borrowed my '70'
Econoline 300 van to move his fiancé to KY. He drove to Tennessee, loaded
her stuff and headed back, when he threw a rod.  I rented another van and
towed it back to Lexington.  Our winter, (not much snow, but plenty cold)
was approaching.  I managed to scrounge a space heater and a 100' extension
cord and rebuilt the engine completely in the back of the van.  A piece of
1/2 nylon rope and a couple of strong friends was all it took to pull the
block out and later to lower it back.  Several years later, while living in
NY, my wife and I flew into Lexington for a visit.  I saw that exact van,
(no mistaking it, I had completely customized the interior) in the airport
parking lot.  Apparently, I must have done an okay job.

Now, I am working on my Corvair engine, in my unheated garage, and still
rely heavily on the little space heater.  It in currently 34 degrees
outside.  The space heater has been running for about an hour, so soon, I
will be back on the engine.

Notice anything funny about the alternator?
http://www.tibweb.com/gallery/200512/20051202t-index.html

Cliff Tibbitts
66 Monza, 65/66 Engine Hybrid
140/4 speed