<VV> Engine Oil on a brand new fanbelt

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Sat Dec 3 12:34:38 EST 2005

Folks,

I just came from a friends house this morning.  Jerry Bergeron lives  about 9
miles from me in Rayne, LA and has a 1961 4 door 700 sedan.  Since  I met him
we have become friends (doesn't owning a Corvair suffice?) and I told  him I
would help him with repairs that need to be made.  He had a bad belt  caused
by a generator bearing failure.  He had the generator rebuilt in a  local shop
and put a new Clarks wrapped belt on it.  He had forgotten that  he pulled the
oil sending unit in order to remove and replace the  generator.  That is,
until he turned the key (he remembered then) and then  turned it right off.
Needless to say, there was oil everywhere including  the belt.  I helped him take
it off and suggested that he wash it in  dishwashing detergent and then let it
dry.  He had already sprayed Dawn  dishwashing detergent in the engine
compartment and flushed it with water.   This didn't result in a thorough cleaning.
I suggested that he try it  again after spraying some gunk degreaser and then
rinsing it off.  I told  him that he needs to be especially sure to clean the
crank, generator and idler  pulleys well.

Any ideas on whether washing the belt in dish detergent will do the  trick?
If anyone has any information on anything other than what I have  stated,
please let me know if anything else needs to be done, or done  differently.

Thanks
Randy Vidrine
Branch, LA
62 Monza Coupe