<VV> RE: Funny Alternator

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Sun Dec 4 09:34:43 EST 2005

JR Read and Chuck Hartzel saw it.  Here's the short story.  When I picked up
the car, the engine was in boxes, literally.  Additionally, I came home with
4 starters and 5 alternators.  This was the best looking one of the bunch,
so I thought I would start with it.  I noticed the problem when I tried to
connect the support brace.  A quick comparison with another alternator,
revealed the problem, but by that time, my wife had already posted the
pictures.

Fortunately for me, JR also noticed that the dust cap was missing on the
needle bearing assembly at the end of the rotor.  This proved to be huge.
When I tore the unit apart, I also discovered that someone had replaced all
the diodes and the brushes.  One diode had come loose, and the brushes where
still being held back with a small drill bit so that the rotor could slide
in and out.  It never would have worked that way.

Now a bigger problem.  When removing a spark plug, it pulled out half the
threads in the head.  The big problem, it may have already been repaired
once already.  I think I am going to try the Time-Serts repair method.  I
have used them extensively for the 1/4x20 bolts all over the heads.

Thanks guys.
Cliff Tibbitts