<VV> Clicking lifters

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 13:37:25 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/3/2005 3:59:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Corvair72387 at cinci.rr.com writes:

Thanks  to all who responded to my post. I ended up changing the oil, taking
the  plugs out, turned the engine over until the oil pressure light went  off,
and then I started it. She fired up right away and there was a lot  of
clatter. I let it run for 10 minutes or so and the noise quieted down a  bit,
but there still needs is a noisy lifter. However I remember there  being a
noisy one before I stored it. So I guess this means I need to  adjust my
valves? Thanks again. VV is such a great  resource.

Nick Gier

An adjustment might help. Any maybe not. I am guilty of doing  "light"
adjustments on most of my vair motors over the years. Maximum of 1/4  turn after
pushrod tension. In almost every case, one lifter would clack on  start-up
(sometimes two!) and one would still be clicking after 10 minutes  of sitting still
idling. Only after driving it under load - thus somewhat  heating up the motor
and the oil - would that last one pump the rest of the  way up.  The next
morning, usually no clicking - or just a little bit. If  it sat for a week. Clack
on start-up again. I suppose a regular adjustment  setting - say a half turn
after push rod tension, would have proved a solution,  But I never knew in
advance when a motor I was building would be used as a race  motor. It often
depended on who pulled up next to me at a light! <grin> -  Seth Emerson