<VV> Dual or Single Master Cylinder

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 13:55:53 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/30/2005 7:55:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bowtieguy at cox.net writes:

I have a  single replacement master cylinder for the brake system on my '64.
Is a dual  really necessary for safety or any other reasons?

Bob Vukas
_bowtieguy at cox.net_ (mailto:bowtieguy at cox.net)

I am bringing this up again (does that make me a redundant  system?) the
earlies have one additional reason to use a dual system. A rare  failure mode on
an early, is the failure in the axle assembly  attachment that allows the axle
assembly (wheel/axle/brake  drum),  to move out from it's mounting - as in out
of the wheel well.  It has to do with the U-joint/ yoke attachment, and the
axle bearing fit. It is  rare but it happens. If that happens on a single
master cylinder set-up,  you lose not only your hydraulic braking at all four
wheels, but your emergency  braking as well, since one drum has departed. Engine
compression will not have  much effect either, since one side of the
differential is in free wheel. if you  are going through the complete system and do not
mind the non-stock appearance  of the dual master, think about adding this
safety system. If the above scenario  did happen, you would still have front
braking. -  Seth