<VV> Re: Quck Steering

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 16:07:12 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/5/2005 12:29:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mtemmert at quixnet.net writes:

Can you  implement chaning over to the quick steering system one component at
a  time.  For instance, what is the effect of just adding the arms, or just
the box.  Or is there more to it than I think.

Mark Emmert
66  Corsa  Coupe

Mark - The arms determine the geometry. The aftermarket quick arms have
compromised the ackerman effect with a short length to the tie rod  location. The
result of this is some strange alignment changes while  turning. On a race
car, you won't notice it, on a street car you will. The  shorter arms also
increase the turning radius, making U-turns a chore. The  factory quick arms are
shorter than the factory standard arms, but not  as short as the aftermarketones.
Installing just the quick ratio steering  box has no effect on the alignment
- moving or stationary - of the car. It will  work fine with long arms. It
will not give you the full effect of the factory  set-up. To get that, you will
have to build or buy a set of arms that duplicate  the factory lengths. You
could easily install the box now and start looking for  a set of the factory arms
or modify a pair yourself. Great care must be  taken if cutting and welding
steering components. They must be expertly  welded and critically inspected
for cracking, but that may end up being  the best source for the correct arms.
The quick box takes the steering ratio  from 20 to 1  down to 16 to one. The
shorter arms add more effect. Changing  steering arm lengths will require a
re-do of the toe-in on the car.  I do  not suggest the fast box and the shortest
aftermarket arms for a street-only  driven car, especially with the sticky
tires now available. Okay for Autocross,  not my recommendation for street.
Several people admittedly love this setup on  their street cars. They are mostly
younger than I am. I ran it too when I was  younger and stronger. More info? Just
ask. - Seth  Emerson