<VV> New to site

mark bashara marklaredo at msn.com
Tue Dec 6 18:21:13 EST 2005

I have been reading virtualvairs for several months now and find it very
interesting. I purchased my first Corvair, a 64 convertable, over 2 years
ago and found it to be an amazing car. I have immersed myself in the entire
history of the Corvair and am now reading the book "Unsafe at any speed" ( I
got it at the library so Nadar doesn't get any royalties) I have what many
of my friends call the "Corvair Museum" in my family room downstairs. It
consists of original ads and other Corvair memrobilia. Like I have heard
many times, owning a Corvair can become addictive. When I go to car shows
the muscle cars are a dime a dozen, but I always have a large crowd looking
at my Corvair due to its uniqueness. I am in my late forties so I appear to
be on the young side of ownership of a Corvair but I wouldn't own any other
car now. Well, that's enough of my introduction. My question is regarding
how the "early" Corvairs hold up in accidents. I know the Corvair was
exonerated by the National Highway Institute but I can't help but wonder
about what I've read and heard about the steering shaft and also the axle
coming off. Obviously any car accident can be deadly but like so many
stories about the Corvair that aren't true, I would like to hear from those
involved longer than me on what they know about the Corvair in accidents. I
would think it would hold up better then the tin cans on the road today. Any
feedback would be appreciated and I look forward to getting more involved in
these discussions. Oh, by the way I live in the western MA region so my car
is away for the winter. For those of you who took the time to read this and
respond, thanks!