<VV> Steering Shaft -Human spear

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Dec 8 13:43:26 EST 2005

Hear, hear.  I plan on installing shoulder belts and head rests one way
or the other (most likely the Sebring solution as one of our extremely
knowledgeable club members has a set on his Stinger clone [with air, no
less;  my hero]).  I will also now replace the steering wheel with a
padded version, add a padded dash, and give real consideration to
replacing the column with a collapsable '67-'69 from salvage . . . when
I  can actually move it out of the garage under its own power.

Stephen Upham
Corvairium II

See, this is what I'm talking about.  I definitely WON'T be doing this with mine.  If I'd wanted a Sebring, I would have bought one.  I drove a Sebring convertible recently and it wasn't a bad car to drive. I kind of liked it.  I like my Corvair better though and I don't want to turn it into a Sebring.  If my Corvair was my only car and I just couldn't find a way to buy a newer car, then maybe I'd add what I could to make it "safe".  I like the skinny steering wheel and the bare metal dash and the pointy switches.  I wouldn't mind headrests and if I ever find a set for a '65 (that didn't cost sooooo much) I'd put them in.  I'll look into the shoulder belt business.  But I'm not putting headrests or shoulder belts from some other car into my Corvair.  It's not show car but I like its "60's-ness".  I want to keep it that way.  I'm not putting in disk breaks (with or without ABS) or fuel injection, I'm not even putting in an electric fuel pump or electronic ignition. I have put on radial tires and there are viton orings in the engine so I will make some concessions to the modern age.  I even put an electric window washer pump in but that's because I couldn't find a bellows for the old mechanical pump.

People can do what they want with their cars but I'm not modyfing mine so much it's hardly a Corvair anymore.

mike