<VV> starter woes

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Dec 8 14:15:46 EST 2005

>But, I agree, most likely the bendix (or whatever it is called on a Vair -
>overunning clutch assembly?) is the problem?  Pictures at Page 6Y-25 to
>28, 65 shop manual.

Vincent Bendix patented the starter drive in 1910. It because universally
used within a few years and everyone called it a "Bendix Drive". Am sure
some lawyers got into the act and the result is that "the Bendix" was
called an "overrunning clutch" by GM which it is, just a special type using
rollers ("dogs" - can be any engagement protuberance) in slots.

Item 15 fig 3s pg 6Y25 65 service manual. Unfortunately the manual treats
this as a non-repairable part so the rollers and slots are not shown (under
the collar behind the gear).

Padgett