<VV> Shoulder Belts

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu Dec 8 22:12:57 EST 2005

    Smitty says:  Actually anyone who is so anal that they worry about driving their Corvair because it is so unsafe, is probably the same way about driving their new Japanese Ripsnort 4 with front, back ,and side airbags, collapsable steering column, pop up roll bars, ABS, 4 way master cyl, ASC, NBC, CBS, 20-20.  Oh wait, I got carried away.  One thing I wonder when I read about people putting Sebring seats in their convert just so they can have a shoulder belt. (don't get me wrong.  If you want them, be my guest).  Having survived a Corvair convert which ended up on its top I would not have wanted anything in the car trying to hold me upright as it rolled over.  I guess the point I am trying to make is that if they are out to get you then you are going to get got.  The air bag that breaks your forearm against your forehead when you are trying to steer around the accident using your ABS won't make you too fond of those safety devices.  It is a fact that under certain conditions on
 dry pavement that a set of locked up wheels will stop you quicker than ABS.  Maybe you wouldn't have set off the airbag if you had stopped instead.  All the safety devices are great if you follow the rules of positioning yourself exactly as the manufacturer intended.  Mom twists around trying to sooth the crying baby in the back seat in his state of the art child safety seat.  This distracts Dad who runs into a run away tree.  Maybe if she had been holding the baby in her loving arms it wouldn't have been crying in the first place and she wouldn't have an injured spine from being out of position when the power retracting seatbelts fired.  Then again, all this becomes a moot point if you follow Uncle's advise.  Avoid hitting anything solid.

  The above is somewhat tongue in cheek but it is also largely true.