<VV> V8-no Corvair

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 9 22:03:26 EST 2005

The 4L60E auto trans is the standard that has been used in small trucks for
some time. Erroneously IMHO many dealers ordered it in bigger 5.7 and maybe
then 6 liter engines and in towing it wouldn't hold up. The 4L80E
(Electronic Turbo 400) was the auto of choice in hvy duty applications prior
to the Allison.  When GM changed to the Duramax and came out with the
Allison 5 spd auto, it set the standard for auto transmissions in hvy duty
applications. I think you can currently order the Allison with a big block
gas-powered engine . They have a 4L65E trans I believe is used in the GTO.
Presume it is upgraded 4L60E.  From "Automotive Engineering" mag, Tech
Briefs, The aluminum block 6.2L V8 engine mates to the new Hydra-Matic 6L80
electronically controlled six speed automatic transmission.The 6L80 is the
first of a four-variant family of six speed RWD autos. Similar to the six
speed auto introduced in the 2006 Corvette, the 6L80 was tailored for the
heavy duty requirements of SUV's and pickup trucks.  GM is also coming out
with a FWD six speed auto. The 6T70 co-developed with Ford. Applicable to
AWD as well by changing the FWD differential to AWD diff.

Bill Hadley aka Swamp Rat can shed more light on this subject.

Chuck S
BBRT