<VV> Safety Philosophy, but no Corvair

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 00:02:09 EST 2005

Hey gang,

Remember what Shakespere said about the first thing we
shoud do--"kill all the lawyers."  Our legal and
insurance systems aren't designed to favor the right,
correct and responsible. If everyone did the right,
correct and  responsible thing, we'd need far fewer
courts and NO insurance. Hell,  I can't think of
anywhere that doesn't make car insurance mandatory,
but I also don't know of anywhere this is enforced. In
Colorado, you have to have been CONVICTED three times
for no insurance before the courts even think of doing
anything to you, despite "madatory" penalties of 10
days in jail and $1,000 fines. Where did I get that
notion? From two local cops, two local detectives and
one prosecutor.
It all goes back to you can't legislate stupid. I
wouldn't dream of dropping my insurance--car, life or
homeowners--and not because of what I do, but what
others might do to me.  Some drunk moron with no
insurance on his rustbucket pulls out in front of me,
wrecks my car and maybe kills someone in my family,
gets a lawyer to handle his injuries, and I lose
everything I worked for? Not a chance.
Still, guess who pays ever-higher premiums, even if
you've never had an accident or a claim, and guess
why?
Countersuit for frivolous lawsuits is the best thing
ever to happen to legitimate, responsible people. But
once someone files against you, you are nose deep in
crap, whether you are right or wrong or the suit is
legitimate or flat-ass bogus.  Then you need the
lawyers, the insurance, the time etc. and it wears you
down, whether you wronged someone or not. You HAVE to
do it.

Chuck Kubin