<VV> Safety Philosophy, but no Corvair

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 10 16:16:07 EST 2005

A child, with a group of other children who were horsing around and chasing
one another, came running from behind a large evergreen (which hid him from
the driver's view) and ran smack into the driver door hard enough to leave a
dent.  The direction of his travel was from behind the driver - diagonally
toward the car.  The car was moving at less than 20mph because of the
presence of children - a line of them on the sidewalk and being herded by a
couple of teenage girls.  He was not seen until the very last fraction of a
second - and then only in peripheral vision.

The insurance company covering the car paid off.  I owned the car - someone
else was driving at the time.  I was so upset that they paid the claim that
I had a "long talk" with the adjuster who approved the payment.  Needles to
say, the policy was non-renewed the next time it came up even though there
had never been any other claims.

The tree was cut down and disposed two days after the accident.  I still
wonder if that property owner was ALSO made to pay.

PS - the injuries were not overly serious.

I wanted my (auto insurance) company to make the kid's parents homeowner
policy pay for the damage to the car.  That never happened.

Later, JR