<VV> Re:Safety Philosophy, but no Corvair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Dec 11 00:11:11 EST 2005

>Chuck Kubin said:
> I can't think of
>anywhere that doesn't make car insurance mandatory,
>but I also don't know of anywhere this is enforced. In
>Colorado, you have to have been CONVICTED three times
>for no insurance before the courts even think of doing
>anything to you, despite "madatory" penalties of 10
>days in jail and $1,000 fines. Where did I get that
>notion? From two local cops, two local detectives and
>one prosecutor.

Here in Virginia the DMV sends out letters on a random basis to see if a
registered car has insurance. You get the letter and give it to your
insurance company who sends it back to DMV. The letter is vehicle
specific & license plate number specific. I have received several of
these over the years. Getting a new registration seems to up the chances
of receiving the letter, but I have received it on cars registered for
many years.

Frank DuVal