<VV> 63 Differential into 64 FC?

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Wed Dec 14 19:00:34 EST 2005

Hi Everett,
Yes, it will work fine.  You might also want to check the differential gear ratio so you are not surprised.  Generally, a 3.55:1 would be the most common, but sometimes a 3.89:1 might be in there.  Personally, I just swapped to 3.89 gears and absolutely love the improvement in acceleration and overall pleasure in driving it.  I am willing to take the hit in gas mileage and some droaning at freeway speeds.

BTW, you can also use the 64-65 car transmission if you retain the former tranny cross member.  You will lose the ultra low first gear, but regain less of a shifting gap from 2-3.  Personally, I like the car transmission, especially the 64/65 since it shifts smoother as well as seems more reliable on the synchros and blocking rings.  I have had too many of the 61-63's starting giving shifting problems or totally lock up in a gear.

I am not sure, but the growling might also be the front bearing in your transmission.  I have done some problem isolation by jacking the car up CAREFULLY and SECURELY and running it and listening for where the problem is.  However, Chet gave strong reasons and firm cautions that might not be the safest or smartest thing to do.   If the car falls off the jacks, it could be quite dangerous.

Also, check that you don't have growling axle bearings.  It would be a shame to swap out a diff and maybe a tranny to discover the issue is axle bearings.

-- Larry