<VV> Late axle retaining bolt

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Thu Dec 15 11:40:20 EST 2005

the "french lock" or whatever that "thingie" is will prevent
the bolt from
coming loose, so you don't need to over torque it.
Clark Hartzel

Are you guys sure of using that lower torque???????

Engineering wise, let me tell you the torque is for much more than keeping the
fastener from backing off.  It's to keep the bolt from seeing as high of an
Osclitory stress and breaking in fatigue.  I'd use the factory torque-unless
it's definatly a typo.   For a Grade 8 3/8-16 bolt dry 375 in-lbs and 330 in-
lbs lubed.  Per MSFC-STD-486 REV B.  That's a tension torque.

Michael