<VV> Late axle retaining bolt

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 15 12:29:54 EST 2005

Can I put my oar in here?.

The '65 Chassis Shop Manual does not call out a torque spec for this bolt,
but the '66 Supplement appears to.

It's shown under Rear Axle, and is called an "Axle Shaft Retaining Bolt".
Torque is 15 ft/lbs. This seems low, but I've used this spec and have had no
problems. The bolt, after all, has a pretty long shank and I'd be worried
about stretching it at higher torque.

There are also a number of other rear axle torque specs that seem odd (like
the Pinion Adjusting Sleeve Lock at 25 ft/lbs?- it's a 1/4 NC bolt). Also,
what is the Drive Spindle Yoke Nut vs. the Drive Spindle Flange? Center nut
retaining the axle spindle and the u-joint retaining bolts respectively?

Andy Clark