<VV> Late axle retaining bolt

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Dec 15 14:24:52 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/15/2005 9:41:55 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
mmcguire at hiwaay.net writes:

Are you  guys sure of using that lower torque???????

Engineering wise, let me  tell you the torque is for much more than keeping
the
fastener from  backing off.  It's to keep the bolt from seeing as high of an
Osclitory stress and breaking in fatigue.  I'd use the factory  torque-unless
it's definatly a typo.   For a Grade 8 3/8-16 bolt  dry 375 in-lbs and 330 in-
lbs lubed.  Per MSFC-STD-486 REV B.   That's a tension torque.

Michael

Yes. The shop manuals are not clear on this spec. In act it really is not  so
specified. I have also personally checked the breakaway torque on two
different stock and unmolested diffs and found that torque to be 30 lb-ft.
Regards,
Bob Helt