<VV> Corvair Alternators and Starters

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Dec 15 22:20:36 EST 2005

>What is so weird about Corvair alternators that local
>FLAPS don't have rebuild kits for them?  Same goes for
>the starters too.

Probably nothing. Delco was mostly mix and match though I am aware of
several different versions. Once even reversed the diodes and wiring and
used a 10DN Delco alternator in a positive ground Jaguar. Once I excavate
down to my Delco parts lists will be able to tell more.

In some cases they used slightly different numbers of windings on armatures
or field coils but could often use any that fit. Only factor is that a 10DN
alternator does not care which way it turns but would be important for a
starter and the Bendix  (starter drive to GM) would be different.

Padgett