<VV> Re: Rebuild parts for starters and alternators

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 22:27:54 EST 2005

LonzoVair at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/15/2005 7:08:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> corvairduval at cox.net writes:
>
>     <<Armature has left hand thread on generator.>>
>

> Concerning the GENERATOR, I believe the windings are opposite of every
> other GM generator out there since it rotates in reverse of every
> other GM generator out there.... the delcotrons don't care what
> direction they rotate, but those Generators sure do!
> Just FYI...
> Later,
> Lonzo
>

> Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
> CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair
> Quart Low Quarterly editor
> 1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
> 1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
> 1964 700 sedan 95/pg
> 1969 Monza cp 110/pg

Well, generator rebuild shops use the right hand thread armature in
Corvair generators if the original armature is bad. They work fine. Even
the nut didn't back off like GM thought it would. I have also seen the
tags on working Corvair generators with part numbers for other than
Corvair applications. As far as DC and rotation, just flash the field to
reverse polarity.

Ed:
Yes, I think the fork is different.

JVHRoberts and Seth:
The starter drive has shorter teeth than other GM drives I have seen,
but it may not be unique to Corvair.

When rebuilding starters, I ordered the drive and fork from Corvair
vendors as the Delco parts warehouse next door did not carry these
items. They did carry the other internal parts. Even the contacts for
solenoids!

Frank DuVal