<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 11, Issue 95

Rex Chivers rchivers at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Dec 16 13:17:49 EST 2005

I did a speedo cable about a week ago on my 65 vert.  At first tried to just
replace the inner cable but the housing was jambed with pieces of the old
one.  I then ordered a new complete one from clarks ( around $30 bucks if I
remember correctly). Took about 30 minutes to install.

  As many have mentioned previously there is a clip that has to be unbolted
on the inside of the wheel well.  There is also a rubber bushing where the
cable goes through the fire wall.  I removed my old cable by pulling the old
screw head off of the cable and sliding it out the rubber gromet, pulling it
out through the wheel well.  I then took the old gromet out of the fire
wall.  I reached in from inside the drivers compartment and inserted a piece
of wire (12 ga solid strand, was what I had handy) and used it as a fish.
Once I had pulled the cable into the drivers compartment then I was able to
work the rubber grommet back over the end and snap it back into the fire
wall.  Connected the screw end to the speedo, and bolted the clip back into
place.  Attached the mounting bracket to the back of the wheel housing,
reinstall the dust cap carefully aligning the square drive on the cable and
tap into place.

Good luck
    -Rex-