<VV> Rebuild II

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 19 15:57:44 EST 2005

Ok, I'm trying to adjust the valves.  In the service manual, it states;
	 " ... install distributor as follows: Rotate crankshaft
counterclockwise until number 1 cylinder is a T.D.C. (timing mark to 0
on tab) of COMPRESSION stroke (fig. 76)  [ and you can tell if it is
the COMPRESSION stroke by ....?]
	Set distributor with rotor pointing to number on cylinder position and
note position of drive tang on distributor shaft.
	Using a long screw drive, turn oil pump shaft [did they say take the
distributor out first, NO] (through distributor bore in engine rear
housing) until slot in oil pump will match distributor tang.
	Using a new gasket, install distributor and rotate until points are
just opening (rotor pointing to number 1 position).
	Install retaining clamp and nut and tighten securely.

Richard Finch describes it this way:
  	a. Trace the number-1 spark-plug wire to its location on the
distributor cap.   Put a chalk mark on the distributor housing directly
below this point.   [ I think I remember where the vacuum advance was
positioned when the engine was running, will that be accurate enough?
The distributor is lying on my work table right now.]

	b. Remove the distributor cap and rotate the engine counterclockwise,
using a 7/8" wrench on the crank-pulley nut, until the rotor lines up
with your mark on the distributor housing.  Now  turn the crank-shaft
just enough to line up the timing marks at zero.  Check the rotor and
if it still points o 1, you have number 1 Top Center firing stroke set.
  If something is wrong, start back at "a" again.

______________

My special considerations which I'm not sure change anything or not are:
I have a Pertronix ignition
The distributor cap has been removed from the distributor (although the
plug wires are still attached and I did have the foresight to number
the plug wires for the correct cylinders)
How do I know if I have the distributor installed in the correct
position when I place it in the distributor bore?

What else am I missing?

Stephen Upham
Corvairium II