<VV> compression stroke, was rebuild II

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 19:13:16 EST 2005

Compression stroke----You have a 50-50 chance you'll be on the compression stroke. Take the plug out of #1 and put your finger over the hole as you rotate the crank toward the O timing mark. Listen for the fart noise as the piston comes up, with both valves closed, pushing the air past your finger. If no pressure, you are on compression on #4. Rotate 360 degrees and try it again.
#1 on the dirstributor--since the distributor turns once for every two crankshaft turns, getting close to start with is pretty easy. Slip the cap and distributor shaft in place and eyeball it, then follow Finch's directions.
Rough distributor position--use the position you remember to start things off. If you are off by a tooth, the rotor won't line up with the contact in the cap. pull it out, turn the shaft and oil pump one tooth, try again.

Chuck Kubin

Stephen Upham <contactsmu at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Ok, I'm trying to adjust the valves. In the service manual, it states;
" ... install distributor as follows: Rotate crankshaft
counterclockwise until number 1 cylinder is a T.D.C. (timing mark to 0
on tab) of COMPRESSION stroke (fig. 76) [ and you can tell if it is
the COMPRESSION stroke by ....?]
Set distributor with rotor pointing to number on cylinder position and
note position of drive tang on distributor shaft.
Using a long screw drive, turn oil pump shaft [did they say take the
distributor out first, NO] (through distributor bore in engine rear
housing) until slot in oil pump will match distributor tang.
Using a new gasket, install distributor and rotate until points are
just opening (rotor pointing to number 1 position).
Install retaining clamp and nut and tighten securely.

Richard Finch describes it this way:
a. Trace the number-1 spark-plug wire to its location on the
distributor cap. Put a chalk mark on the distributor housing directly
below this point. [ I think I remember where the vacuum advance was
positioned when the engine was running, will that be accurate enough?
The distributor is lying on my work table right now.]

b. Remove the distributor cap and rotate the engine counterclockwise,
using a 7/8" wrench on the crank-pulley nut, until the rotor lines up
with your mark on the distributor housing. Now turn the crank-shaft
just enough to line up the timing marks at zero. Check the rotor and
if it still points o 1, you have number 1 Top Center firing stroke set.
If something is wrong, start back at "a" again.

______________

My special considerations which I'm not sure change anything or not are:
I have a Pertronix ignition
The distributor cap has been removed from the distributor (although the
plug wires are still attached and I did have the foresight to number
the plug wires for the correct cylinders)
How do I know if I have the distributor installed in the correct
position when I place it in the distributor bore?

What else am I missing?

Stephen Upham
Corvairium II