<VV> Greenbrier issues update / Good News and next project

aircooled6 at prodigy.net aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Mon Dec 19 20:34:55 EST 2005

A learning experience, to be sure.

I have learned that the Brier is a large reverberation chamber and that a
sound can be coming from one place and my ears will with complete certainty
tell me it is coming from another.

The grinding/growling sound that I am positive was the differential,
apparently isnt.  I say this because after drafting one of the neighbor kids
to drive it around the local high school parking lot (my own kids are far
too busy to help me with this) so I could sit and crawl around in the van
while it was moving, I have ascertained that the rear axle bearings and
differential are very quiet.  I even lifted the engine lid off and had my
trusty assistant shut down the engine so I could hear any noises.  Nope,
nada, nothing.

So, then I sat sideways in the back seat.  Hmmmm that sounds like its coming
from the right front....several changes in my position confirm that the
noises are coming from the front end.  Stood outside while he drove
by....both sides.....under power, coasting, engine off.

What little I could hear was from the front.

Piled blankets/carpet padding, moving pads, you name it in the back to
muffle sound.  Yep, same noises, still from the front.

Im happy that it isnt the diff.

I want to thank Larry Curtis here in Ft Worth for offering me a spare he had
in the garage, (it's in mine, now !)  Thanks Larry!!  Im going to keep it
out where I can see it, just in case Im still wrong about this noise.

In any case, Im going to pop the front hubs off to check the bearings there,
although Im pretty sure I re-packed them, but not 100 pct positive.

If all else fails, it just might be tire noise that Im not used to hearing
because of the echo effect and the small holes in the floor.

I feel a little dumb, but then again, I havent ridden in an FC since college
days and didnt realize just how noisy things can be in a giant tin can.

Thick padding and shag carpeting anyone?!?   Nah, but some sound deadener, a
few weather strips arpund the doors and windows and a bit of fiberglass work
on the floorboards should make it better.   The more I drive this thing, the
more I like it.  Shouldve bought one a long time ago!!

next project - Seat Belts in the rear.   Hints from folks who have done this
appreciated....

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX