<VV> Re: vv diff between Corsa and Monza

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Dec 20 16:42:40 EST 2005

At 11:26 hours 12/19/2005, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:

>the Monza  and 500, the grille was again painted body color. On the
>Corsa, the
>center  portion of the grille was painted "cove color" silver, and a large
>anodized  aluminum surround was screw-mounted over the section, with
>the silver
>colored  painted portions showing through.  After 1966, the covering anodized
>insert  was not used, Some owners report the center portion of the
>grill being
>  painted silver. After 40 years, it may be hard to pin that one
> down. But the
>  67-69 grille was the same stamping as the 66.  - Seth  Emerson

The original (faded) paint '68 Monza here has the silver painted mesh
section on its rear grill.   The blue '69 Monza, (repainted several
times) was recently stripped down to the metal for repaint
prepping.   When I began stripping the rear air grill, I saw silver
on the mesh area when I got to the original Dusk Blue factory
paint.   Likewise the rear grill on the red '69  Monza, which had
been repainted (not the best repaint) although the rear air grill
hadn't been properly cleaned (oily film?) and much of the repaint was
peeling off, revealing silver on the mesh area.    A couple of
non-repaint rear grills hanging in the shed show what appears to be
Argent Silver on the mesh area.   A couple others do not
(500s).   Almost all the original-paint Monzas I've ever seen from
'65-up have silver mesh areas, almost.   As mentioned earlier, one of
them did not.   Another '65 4-door concours car I saw at a show also
had no silver mesh on the grill and it was a Monza, in like-new
original condition with only a couple thousand miles on it as I recall.

It's also my understanding that the '66-up grills are all the same
part, including the '66 Corsa grill, which was simply drilled for the
anodized aluminum trim insert.

tony..    gots grills