<VV> Corvair Pilot car article

Bigwave Dave thebigwave at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 23:48:53 EST 2005

Hey Guys
I have been working on a Corvair Pilot car article and would appreciate any help in locating any more Pilot cars.
So far the only pilot cars found are 1966 models. 5 Corvairs and 1 Impala pilot have been found. These represent the following plants, Willow Run, and Oshawa for Corvairs and St Louis for the Impala. So we know that pilots were built in the different GM plants and not isolated to one plant. Now the cars were built before regular production so the Vin number for possible pilot cars have to be very low. The highest Vin number on a pilot found so far is 100016. So any US built Corvair with a Vin less than 100020 may be a Candidate. Canadian 1966 pilots have been identified as the first 4 cars built, so Vin 001, 002 ,003 ,and 004.
Please contact me if you have a Corvair with a Vin less than 100020. This includes all years and models. So far only 1966 pilots have been found. I want to see if pilots exist in any other year Corvair. It may be that 1966 was the only year that Pilots were assigned a Vin. So drop me an email if you have a very early Vin# Corvair and we'll see if it is a Pilot or not. I am especially interested in very early Vin # Los Angeles built 1966 Corvairs since I strongly believe they must have built a few pilots just like the other plants.

Regards
Dave Trull
"Bigwave"